Not sure what to expect? Neither did I. I was fortunate enough to have a great mentor to help me through the process.
Based on my experience, here’s a general outline of the Traveling Therapy Process:
- Find recruiters.
- Interview recruiters.
- Recruiter creates a portfolio based on your preferences.
- Recruiter discusses assignment options based on your given parameters including location, setting, mentorship, and pay rate.
- If you’re interested in a particular assignment, your recruiter submits your portfolio to the facility of your choice.
- If the facility is interested in pursuing you, they’ll discuss and set up a phone interview for you with your recruiter.
- You’ll have a phone interview with the facility. They’ll inform your recruiter if they’re interested in moving forward or if they don’t think it’ll be a good fit. At the same time, you’ll decide if you’re interested in pursuing that assignment.
- If you both agree, then your recruiter will begin to draft your contract for that assignment. This would be the best time to negotiate terms of the contract and then sign the contract. At this point, make sure that your recruiter has worked out the details including any of your requested time off, the number of guaranteed hours, cost for travel expenses, license reimbursement, pay for orientation or online training, number of hours guaranteed in contract, and the clause that releases you from a contract should the facility find a full-time therapist.
- Find housing.
- Start traveling to the site.
- Explore and make new friends!